This past week the React team released a new tool to create React projects. Check out their blog post here. Until now there’s been a pretty high barrier to entry in React. Configuring a new project was extremely time consuming and honestly, pretty difficult.
What makes this so cool is that you no longer have to configure Webpack in order to get up and running. You can literally install the react project creation tool in less than 5 minutes and generate a project. You get a development server with live reload and maybe the coolest part, if you need to you can remove all the automatic project configuration and take over take full control of all the project settings you can do it with a single command. Let’s build a sample project so you can see just how easy it is:
Prerequisites: You need to have Node and NPM installed on your system. It can be found here.
- Open up your favorite console or windows command prompt.
- Enter “npm install -g create-react-app” in the console
This step installs the react app creator on your machine globally so that you can run the command in any location.
- Navigate to the folder where you want your new project folder to reside.
- Enter “create-react-app [application-name]”
Step 4 creates the scaffold for your new project.
- Change directory into the project folder.
- Enter “npm start” to start your development server.
- Open a browser and navigate to “localhost:3000”, you should see your new react application in the browser.
And that’s it. No further configuration is required and you can begin building your application. The builder greatly lowers the barrier to entry if you just want to start working on a react application or tutorial you’re all ready to go.
I’ve also made a short 5 minute video covering the installation and creation of a sample application on my YouTube channel so please check that out if you still have questions or contact me @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out my YouTube channel or check back here soon for more articles.